Sunday, February 7, 2010

Random Sunday- Isn't it ironic, dontcha think?

So, my goal was to post at least once every single day, and I've already slacked :( Yesterday was just so busy and I didn't get a chance, but I'm making it up today! I was thinking of giving each day a theme, and Sunday will now be known as "Random Sunday"! Because sometimes I have things I want to share that just don't warrant a post by themselves, but when all put together they make up some form of awesomeness.

First on the agenda- brownies. One thing you must know about me is that I have a massive sweet tooth (with a massive waist to prove it) and people, I just found one of the BEST brownie recipes I've ever baked. Seriously. They are super moist and fudgey, and perfectly gooey, nom nom nom.... And the recipe came right from the back of the cocoa canister, go figure. So, I'm going to share it will all of you:


Nestle Toll House Chewy Cocoa Brownies
- 1 2/3 c. sugar
- 3/4 c. butter or margerine, melted
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 c. baking cocoa
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 13x9 inch baking pan.
Combine sugar, butter and water in large bowl. Stir in eggs and vanilla extract. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; stir into sugar mixture. Stir in nuts. Spread into prepared baking pan.
Bake for 18 to 25 minutes, or unitl wooden pick inserted in center comes out slightly sticky. Makes 2 dozen brownies.

Now, I didn't have any nuts on hand, so we suffered without. And I ran out of sugar and added a small amount of light brown sugar, about 1/4 c maybe. I doubt that really changed the outcome much, if any. These things were sooooo good, I was floored. They were rich and gooey, and really chocolately. They were kinda thin, probably could have been in a smaller 8"x8" pan, just depending on how you like your brownies. I topped my warm brownies with ice cream, and oh my Maude.....This will be my go to browine recipe from now on. And my son loved cleaning the bowl for me. Yep, he's definitely one of us.


Now that I've tempted you with the oh so delicious yet oh so evilness that is brownies, let's transition seamlessly into eating better. What, they don't go together? Whatever, minor detail. Anyways, so I went through my closet yesterday, getting a bag together to take to the thrift shop. I cleaned out my son's closet, made my husband go through his stuff, and now it was my turn. Ugh. Ugh, ugh, ugh. I hate this task. Not only do I get to see how much money I've wasted on items that I just never ended up wearing much (though many of them came from the thrift store to begin with, so not too much money was wasted. They really should have an exchange program, bring in a bag, take out a bag!) but I get to see all the clothes that don't fit me any more. Can I say ugh again? It was quite depressing. I've gained more weight after having my son than I had in the previous 7-8 years before he came along. And I can't even blame it on being pregnant with him. I actually lost weight while pregnant (I had plenty extra to lose). I was eating healthier and had a total loss of appetite in my first trimester, and he was born 8 weeks premature. When it was all said and done, I was about 5 pounds lighter when I had him than when I got pregnant. Heh, pregnancy was the best weight loss program I've ever had. There are a ton of contributing factors, I know. To name a few, I started drinking soda again after not drinking it regularly for like 2 years. I just quit caring about what I ate. I was in an office job where I just sat all day long. Anyways, I'm ready to kick those crap habits to the curb. No more soda is allowed in the house, which we really didn't buy much to begin with. No more baking brownies just randomly (I'm dying a bit inside just typing that...). No more CANDY! Dear jebus, I love me some candy. Now, I do believe in small indulgences, just because I refuse to live without some food joy. Refuse. But on the whole I will be cutting waaaayyyy down. I'm not on a diet. I never have been and never will be. They don't work and are just wrong all around. But I will eat better things for my body. And be more active with my son. Easy as that.
And can I just sing the praises of Agave Necter?!? Why oh why did it take me so long to try this stuff?? I bought some yesterday and tried it in coffee this morning, and it's amazing! Used it with some fat free creamer and it was just as good, if not better, than my full of crap stuff flavored creamer that I normally use. So I've got that going for me ;)

Brownies and eating healthy, ironic much?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read each and every one! I also love to respond :)