Friday, February 26, 2010

Let's do the limbo

I feel as if I've neglected my poor blog already :( My goal was to post at least once a day, and almost immediately I started taking Saturdays off. Yeah, my resolve was that strong. Heh. Anyways, I missed yesterday as well, so I'm trying to make it up today. My days have been pretty full, between a 2 year old and some great orders that I'm working on (shout out to Sujatha!), and I'm also preparing some great little promo packs to send in to The Little Black Box and Sampler Village. Yay for being busy!

Do any of you guys out there feel as if you are in just "limbo" mode? My life has been in a hold status for a bit over a year, since we moved back to our hometown to kind of just start over. While we are happy with our decision on a big picture level, the day to day realities of what that move means is sometimes hard to deal with. It was a long ordeal for my husband to find a decent job in this town, which is insanely hard to come by here. I know that's the story for the majority of the country out there right now, so I'm just insanely grateful that he is one of the lucky ones that does have a good job with health insurance. And we are also incredibly fortunate to have a safe, nice roof over our heads. The limbo part comes in because I so badly want to have my *own* space. This home is a home, but it's not *my* home. It's my parent's home, and while that comes with it's own feelings of comfort and safeness, it also makes me feel a bit claustrophobic in a way. As if we are trying to squeeze our lives in any space that it will fit. I refrain from really spending too much time on our space, because it's just temporary. I find that most of my sentences start with the phrase "When we get a place of our own....". So many things I'd love to do or accomplish are just on hold for an indefinite amount of time. The simple fact is just we cannot afford a place of our own yet.
And that's life. We don't always get what we want when we want it. We have to make the best of less than ideal situations, or go crazy otherwise. And really, when it's all said and done, we ARE one of the lucky ones. We have a warm place to live, we have clothes on our backs, good food on our table, family that supports us in all we do, and great friends that have been around for a looonngg time (another shout out, get well soon Kelly!!). We have the luxury of splurging a bit of tax money on a vacation (we did the responsible thing of paying off a large bill and putting some in savings as well), and I am able to have my "dream" job of being home with my boy and working on my Etsy shop. It's a trade off, and I think even though we aren't in our ideal situation right now we are in a very, very workable place. So if I start to whine about menial stuff, feel free to bring me back down to earth.

But I still want my own space.

This is the best picture I have of us looking all forlorn. Since I'm apparently in a woe-is-me mood, I thought it was appropriate.
(This is at Howl-O-Scream at Busch Gardens a few years ago, that's why we look like a hot mess)


2 comments:

  1. I love that picture, reminds me of the onesie I made for Layton :) Thanks for the shout out, I'm feeling a bit better this afternoon, hoping hoping hoping this is a quick easy virus, versus the month of horror that was my january.

    Loving the blog! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I have that onesie and the Zao one put up somewhere. I'll have to think of some cool way to display them someday.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one! I also love to respond :)