Thursday, February 11, 2010

"I'm sorry, but I won't be in today...."

Those are the words that I would have had to speak this morning if I still worked outside of the home. My boy has a nasty cold and he's in no condition to go anywhere. It definitely would have been a call in to work day. I hated that, worrying about having to call in, worrying about my kid if he was under the weather at daycare, not being able to be there for him all of the time when he felt like crap. I hated the feeling of having to choose, do I call in or is he healthy enough to try to work today? Will I get a call an hour after dropping him off? No one should have to make the choice to work or take care of their kid. Sick days are the perfect argument for telecommuting.

I'm all for working mothers. Seriously, I admire women who have careers they love and a family. I know that is the right choice for many women, that they would not be happy, whole people if they were to stay home instead of work outside of it. For me I did not have that calling. I had to work outside of the home for us to survive. And when my boy would get sick I just felt this horrible helplessness. I didn't want to jeopardize my job by calling in; I didn't want to be away from my babe when he needed me most; I didn't want to be that parent who took their sick kid to daycare to spread the germs around. It seemed as if no matter what I chose, someone was going to be let down.

So it's on days like today, when my guy is clingy and whiny and has snot dripping out of his nose constantly, that I'm the happiest about he path I've chosen. Because I don't feel guilty. I feel like I'm right where I need to be.



On a completely different note, I just wanted to throw out a thanks to all of my followers! This blogging thing has been really fun so far, and I'm loving getting to connect with people that I normally wouldn't.
Don't forget to enter my first giveaway here!




Thanks to Katie at Heaven Baked Sweets for the link to the signature generator, I'm digging it! To make your own, go here!

3 comments:

  1. Hope your son is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It's awful to be torn between a job and your children. I don't have any kids (yet) but I worked in a preschool for 6 years, so I understand that stress pretty intimately :) Happy to hear you can just be home and take care of him now. I'd want the same if I had a child.

    Glad to hear you're enjoying the blog world! Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Susan :) I think he's feeling much better today, so I hope he's on the mend.

    Lost Earring, I've never really thought of it from the caregiver's perspective, how often they saw the parents that really didn't even want to be leaving their kids. But I'm glad there are kind and loving people who do take on the huge responsibility, it makes it easier when you can leave them with people who really love their jobs working with kids.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read each and every one! I also love to respond :)